In 2010 the Governments of the Republics of Namibia and Botswana entered into a Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate the development of the Trans-Kalahari Railway Line Link in Namibia. In 2014 the two governments signed a Bilateral Agreement on the development of the 1500km line, with its associated coal storage, conveying, loading and other ancillary facilities.
A Project Management Office Agreement led to the establishment of a Project Management Office in Windhoek which was mandated to run the day to day project office matters. It is envisioned that the project will be implemented on a Design- Built -Own -Operate and Transfer investment model.
- Railway Network Upgrading: Walvis Bay to Tsumeb
- Northern Railway Line Extension Project
- Upgrading and Rehabilitation of the Aus-Luderitz Railway Line
- Rehabilitation of the Sandverhaar - Bucholzbrunn railway line
- Commuter Train Projects
- Development of the Trans Kalahari Railway Line, Coal Storage and Associated Loading Facilities
- Cape Fria – Katima Mulilo Railway Line