In 2014 the Ministry of Works and Transport commissioned four pre- feasibility studies to investigate the viability of transporting commuters by rail between Windhoek Central and other major economic canters.
The Feasibility Studies were done on the following routes;
The next stage for the projects is detailed design and this will commence soon.
- Railway Network Upgrading: Walvis Bay to Tsumeb
- Northern Railway Line Extension Project
- Upgrading and Rehabilitation of the Aus-Luderitz Railway Line
- Rehabilitation of the Sandverhaar - Bucholzbrunn railway line
- Commuter Train Projects
- Development of the Trans Kalahari Railway Line, Coal Storage and Associated Loading Facilities
- Cape Fria – Katima Mulilo Railway Line